Baking chicken breast at 400° Fahrenheit is a relatively popular cooking technique. But how long should you cook it for? There are many factors to take into account, such as how thick the meat is and how hot your oven really is. If you want to find out how long you need to bake chicken breasts at 400°F, then check out this blog post!
How Long to Bake Chicken Breast at 400°
Many of us shun baking chicken breast in the oven because we believe it is dry and flavorless. How about if I tell you that it’s one of the simplest things to prepare in the kitchen and that you may get excellent results that you’ll want to repeat?
Chicken breasts seasoned with olive oil, then baked at 400F for up to 25 minutes, depending on the weight of the breast, is all it takes. Isn’t it simple? Also, you know what? These will be the most flavorful, juicy, and tender oven-roasted chicken breasts of your life: delicious, succulent, and delicate. It’s flawless!
Come with me if this appeals to you, and let’s prepare it together!
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Chicken breast – Chicken breasts that are skinless, boneless, and leaner cook quicker than those with the skin on. The baking time is less for bone-in or boneless chicken breasts regardless of size or thickness because the temperature in the oven isn’t as important.
- Olive oil – If you use olive oil, be sure to choose one that has a neutral taste and a high smoking point.
- Taco seasoning – I used a pre-packed dry rub on this cook, but you may make your own at home by combining 4 tsp of paprika, 2 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp brown sugar (omit if on a keto diet or use dried herbs such as oregano or thyme), 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ teaspoon cumin, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Add ¼ teaspoon chili powder or cayenne to give it some heat. For about 3 tbsp of dry rub, mix 3 tablespoons of any dry rub.
How Long to Make Chicken Breast at 400°F
The amount of time required will be determined by the weight and size of your breasts, as well as the temperature you bake it in the oven.
High temperatures are best for keeping the fluids in and giving it a “seared” golden appearance. I believe that 400-450 F is ideal!
I’ve been making chicken breasts at 400° F for a long time. It’s produced some of the juiciest breasts I’ve ever tasted!
The time required to cook abreast at a specific temperature will vary based on the size of the breast. It takes around 11 to 25 minutes to cook a chicken breast in an oven at 400°F. The following baking timetable is based on the weight or size of a boneless chicken breast:
- 10 to 13 minutes: 5.35 oz
- 14 to 18 minutes: 7 oz
- 19 to 24 minutes: 10 oz
- 22 to 25 minutes: 12 oz
Check the internal temperature following each cook to obtain a more accurate measurement, which should be 160°F (71°C) when taken out of the oven. According to the FDA, it will raise approximately 5 degrees F or 3 degrees C after resting for 3-5 minutes, reaching the desired temperature of 165°F or 74°C for safety reasons.
To ensure that your chicken is uniformly cooked and ready at the same time, pound the chicken breasts to make them all the same thickness. The thinner section will not bake quicker than the thicker part of the breast, resulting in dry meat in the narrower region or undercooked meat in the most expansive area.
You may use a rolling pin or a meat mallet to even out the thickness of the chicken breasts. Before grilling, let the chicken breast rest in a plastic bag or wrap it with plastic wrap for 20 minutes. This will assist in preventing the breast from ripping.
Essential Steps to Cook Chicken Breast in the Oven
It’s as simple as that. To produce wonderfully baked chicken breasts, you’ll only need to follow these 5 phases:
- Brine (OPTIONAL) – If you have some time, brine your chicken breasts. Because the brine will permeate the flesh, they will be moister and more flavorful. You may use my roast turkey’s brine or get them already brined. However, if you’re like me and always in a hurry, you can skip this step and still get great results.
Cover the chicken breasts with lukewarm water in a large mixing bowl. Add a spoonful of salt and stir until it is dissolved. After that, add them and leave them to soak for 15 minutes to 6 hours at room temperature.
After that, rinse the chicken in cold water to remove the salt after being in the brine. Then it should be dried using paper towels.
- Brush the roast with a high-smoke-point oil, such as olive oil or neutral vegetable oil.
- Rub steak with a combination of seasonings, such as taco or Cajun seasoning. You can also make your own at home.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. It will keep the moisture in and give a nice golden color to the chicken breasts.
- It’s also important to let the chicken rest for three to five minutes before cutting it. It keeps the meat moist by keeping it cool.
The optimal cooking time for a perfect chicken breast in the oven is about 12 to 15 minutes, with a high temperature of 400°F.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F for about 20 minutes. Choose breasts that weigh roughly the same and bake at the same time. ENJOY 🙂 This is where you’ll use your baking skills to make a delicious meal.
- Meanwhile, cover the breasts with a plastic wrap and pound them with a mallet to make sure they are of uniform thickness. If you have the time, brine them for at least 15 minutes; otherwise, skip this step.
- Oil the breasts and all over them, then season them well on all sides and press it into place with your hands to get the seasoning to adhere.
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a baking sheet with some olive oil (or coat one with foil and then oil). 2. Place the breasts in the pan and bake for 10–25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place the chicken breasts in a shallow baking dish or plastic bag, and drizzle with any remaining olive oil. Preheat the oven. Set the timer for 10 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts: 5 oz (10 minutes), 7 oz (14 minutes), 10 oz (19 minutes), and 12 oz (22 minutes). Halfway through their cooking time, turn each breast. Remove them from the oven when they reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow the roast to rest for 3-5 minutes before serving after removing it from the oven. Their temperature will rise during this time, reaching around 165°F (74°C). Make sure you cut against the grain!
How Many Calories Does a Chicken Breast Have?
A skinless chicken breast with no additional ingredients has roughly 156 calories, 1 gram of fat, 24 grams of protein, and no carbohydrates. Each tablespoon of oil adds 40 calories and 5 grams of fat to the recipe while cooking the chicken breast.2What Is The Best Way To Cook A Chicken Breast?
The most convenient method of cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts is in a hot cast iron pan since it is less prone to overcook the meat than other options.
Always make sure to do the following:
- Prepare the vegetables and the sauce while waiting for the chicken to come to room temperature (in fact, it’s preferable if any meat is left out of the fridge for 20 minutes).
- Season well!
- Only flip the breasts once.
Allow them to sit for three to five minutes when they’re as wet as possible.
Why Are Chicken Breasts Dry and Tough?
The reason your chicken breasts are dry and firm may be due to a number of causes:
- You didn’t let the chicken sit in the fridge for 20 minutes before grilling it: This is essential to ensure that everything is cooked evenly!
- As a result, the chicken was overcooked: Remove the breasts from the oven as soon as they reach an internal temperature.
- After cooking, you didn’t allow the breasts to rest for 3-5 minutes before cutting them. The juices will be redistributed and the moisture retained by enabling the test subjects to relax.
How to Season Chicken Breast
Many supermarkets and restaurants provide pre-packaged seasoning blends in the spice aisle, such as taco and Cajun seasoning. You can, however, create your own at home.
This is one of my favorite homemade seasonings: simply combine 4 teaspoons paprika, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon brown sugar (omit if, on a ketogenic diet or Dried oregano, thyme, or Italian seasoning can be used instead), 2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon ground cumin. Add ½ tsp chili powder or cayenne if you like your food spicy.
Dry rub, about 3 tablespoons per 4 breasts, is a popular dry rub combination.
Whatever flavoring you pick, make sure to oil the breasts and then season them properly. To get the seasoning to adhere to the breasts, press it on with your hands.
How to Serve Baked Chicken Breast
Chicken breasts are wonderful for tacos, salads, burritos, sandwiches, nachos, burgers. They’re also great for serving over mashed potatoes with roasted carrots and parsnips or Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts.
In reality, you may serve them with practically anything!
Bake a chicken breast in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze it for up to two months! It’s one of those quick freezer dinners that you’ll want to make often.